Friday, February 4, 2011

Life's Little Pricks

There are so many things in life that can get us down; work, school (mostly the social part), and your own physical well being. Most teenage girls strive to look like the models in the fashion magazines, you know the ones that show up on our doorsteps once every month, but none of that is real. It's all airbrushing and computer generated touch-ups. Those same covers are putting every American girl down as teenagers gaze at the celebrity on the cover wondering to themselves, how they did their hair or where they got their clothes and how they can change themselves to look more like the models. When is reality actually real?
I was one of those girls too. Until one day when I woke up strapped to a hospital bed after being loaded into the back of a Medevac helicopter, that was the day my life as I knew it changed forever. Arriving at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at UMD Medical Center I tried to remember my life before that day and kept asking myself the same question, "Did I accomplish everything I wanted to do before I died." I was even thinking about what I would say to my family members when the time came, little did I know I wasn't actually dying!
 The thing you need to know about me is that I am dramatic about everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING. As an aspiring actress, I see every moment as a chance to practice, a chance with unlimited potential or unlimited oomph! Hence, when I found myself in the hospital. There was a lot of panic in the room which made me realize that something BIG was clearly taking place.  There were at least 8 doctors and nurses surrounding my bed calling out orders and sticking IVs into my fragile bone thin arms. The doctor pulled out a syringe and put it into my arm. I had taken many shots before but for some reason this shot felt different, and it was at that very moment I learned I had Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. I thought to myself "No, not me! Why me? Did I do something wrong" And did I just lose all my future dreams. I panicked and lost every ounce of air as I tried to inhale, tears streamed down my face and the room spun round and became a blur. Everything fell silent and that was the moment I realized that this was real, no airbrushing or designer clothes, just my new reality and that reality was my life changed forever....

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to keep reading your posts Christine - and to answer one of your questions - you didn't lose all of your future dreams :)

    ReplyDelete