Sunday, April 28, 2013

Freshman 15

The term "freshman 15" refers to the college freshman who gains 15 pounds or more because they are finally on their own and can eat what they want, when they want and their parents are paying for all of it. Unlimited swipes is a term I have become way to comfortable with. It has been a while since I last posted here but bare with me I will fill you in after I get this off my chest. I am a freshman at a small college in NYC but there is nothing small about the cafeteria or the calorie counting. Everyday there is a freshly baked aroma of oatmeal raisin cookies and warm blueberry muffins that flows right past the salad bar and straight towards me. I see the other kids rush with plates filled and I try to fight the temptation but sometimes I give in. Sweets have always been my weakness but usually my mom is there to reign me in. My cafeteria also has a soft serve ice cream machine, soda machine, meat carving station, pizza stand, pasta stand, and all the italian food and bagels anyone could ask for. Not to mention the chicken tenders, burgers, and fries that always draw my attention. The first week I went crazy and ate everything in sight but eating all of these foods (the tasty ones) started to make me feel really bad about myself. My blood sugars started to bounce back and forth and all of a sudden I had no control over my body. I became really sick and felt the only thing i could attribute it to was the poor eating habits that I had developed. So i became pescatarian. This means that I didn't eat chicken, pork, or red meat. I only ate fish. It was really hard to adjust to the lifestyle but after awhile it became second nature. I refrained from meat and soda for a total of 60 days but saw very little results regarding my weight loss. I hit my highest weight in January and decided to get back out there and try to find a diet that worked with my lifestyle. I started Weight Watchers and have lost 15lbs since. I'm really excited about it and cant wait to go shopping for new clothes. Everybody is different and just because pescatarianism worked for my parents doesnt mean it was going to work for me. Finding the diet that works for you is all about trial and error. When I hit that high in January I went to Target and bought Hydroxycut max. I took it in secret for a week and my family immediately noticed a change in my personality. It made me moody, angry, and tired all the time. But when I decided to try a healthy alternative I discovered a healthy result.

No comments:

Post a Comment